Friday, April 27, 2012

People on the Internet are Scary! (No, They're Not)

You know how they say to be careful with people you meet on the internet? How they might not be who they say they are? Maybe they're scary and strange?

Apparently I'm allowed to throw that advice out the window under the right circumstances.

The illustrious Mindy McGinnis safely arrived in the dusty, dirty, just-plain-BROWN southwest today. (Seriously. Mega-winds kicking up the dirt creating a cloud of brown over the city.) We've known each other (on the internet) for about two and a half years. We've been critique partners (on the internet) for about a year and a half. Today we met in person for the first time.

People knew this was happening. No one thought it was weird or scary.

Maybe it's because of how ubiquitous the internet is now, how big social media has become, or maybe it's just that Mindy and I have known each other in online arenas that are public enough to validate our identities. Or something.

At any rate ...

Today she's the guest author at my school's second biannual Author Illustrator Competition. Not only is this her first visit anywhere in the west that isn't Las Vegas, it's also her first foray into Deaf-World.

Should be fun.

I'll be sure to report back.

8 comments:

Leah Petersen said...

I've met in real life several people I met first online. I think if you have a long-standing relationship, it's highly likely that the person is just who you think they are.

Or maybe I've been lucky. I've been lucky half a dozen times, then.

R.C. Lewis said...

Yeah, Leah, I've only done it a few times, but so far, it hasn't been a problem in any way.

And the world will be glad to know the Mindy (a.k.a. BBC) and I get along just as well in real life. :-D

BBC said...

After a voice confirm over the phone to my sister, she concluded that Rachel's not in fact, a 55 year old rapist, which seemed to be her main concern.

Anonymous said...

Wow, and all this time I pretty much assumed you were a fifty-year-old fat guy typing away in your beer stained underwear!

Wish I was there with you guys!

Skyval

MarcyKate said...

This should also help dispel rumors that you and Mindy are actually the same person. You'll have a school full of witnesses! :P

BBC said...

MK - What's even funnier is that the girl at Wendy's then got confused about which of us was who and tried to give me Rachel's food. It was HILARIOUS to us. She didn't quite understand WHY that was so funny, but obviously it was :)

BBC said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
E.B. Black said...

I've met several people I met online first, one of which I dated for five years. It's as risky as meeting someone any other way.